As of April 15, 2015, RHY grantees need to collect data on all youth served in their Continuum of Care (CoC)-designated Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) application. The use of a local HMIS helps RHY grantees and communities understand the prevalence, characteristics, service utilization, and outcomes of youth served by RHY programs, and has the potential to identify and plan policies and practices to accelerate efforts to prevent and end youth homelessness in 2020.
All RHY grantees, including Street Outreach, Basic Center, Transitional Living, and Maternity Group Home Programs must collect their data in HMIS. Basic Center Programs need to record data both served in emergency shelter (in an emergency shelter project) and youth who are provided services outside of the shelter system (in a homelessness prevention project).
RHY grantees should connect with point person from their CoC’s HMIS lead, the entity responsible to ensure that the RHY programs are properly set up in HMIS and to provide training to RHY grantees on how to use HMIS, including generating reports. RHY grantees should ensure that HMIS leads include their accurate HHS grant number in the funding identifier in HMIS. As users of an HMIS application, RHY grantees are responsible for paying license fees associated with the use of HMIS. To locate your HMIS lead, go to the Contact a CoC page at: https://www.hudexchange.info/grantees/?granteesaction=main.searchresults&programid=3
In addition to collecting data in HMIS, RHY grantees need to upload their data twice a year using the RhyPoint repository. Data uploads happen at specified periods in the spring and fall. Grantees should generate a CSV 5.0 – hashed for RHY report and upload that report to RhyPoint at www.rhymis.net.
The collection and reporting of data by RHY grantees is governed by the Runaway and Homeless Youth Act and accompanying regulations. Additional guidance on data collection and uploads is found below.
RHY-HMIS Technical Assistance
- Grantees and staff with questions with your data upload to include logins, files and error messages please contact the RHY-HMIS On-line Service Desk at: www.RHYMISServiceDesk.net
- For assistance with issues concerning your agency’s CoC/HMIS or questions about RHY-HMIS data, please email FYSB/HHS staff at: RHYMIS@acf.hhs.gov
- Questions regarding HMIS: Contact the HUD Exchange, Ask A Question HMIS Desk: https://www.hudexchange.info/get-assistance/my-question/
- RHY-HMIS User Guide: Uploading RHY-HMIS Data User Guide v2.2, (May 2017): http://bit.ly/2pXptM8
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): Uploading RHY-HMIS Data FAQs, (May 2017): http://bit.ly/2qOzMpw
- Data Quality Report Manual: RHY Data Completeness—Data Quality Report User Manual, (May 2017): http://bit.ly/2q0NMvz
- NEW! The RHY-HMIS Street Outreach Program (SOP) Data Collection TIP Sheet http://bit.ly/2yjtzlK
NEW! Instructional Video Shorts Series
- RHY-HMIS Video: How to Access RHY-HMIS Resources (Sept. 2017): http://airhsdlearning.airws.org/rhymisvideos/RHYMISResources.mp4
- RHY-HMIS Video: Extracting Your Data Before Uploading to RHYPoint (Sept. 2017): http://airhsdlearning.airws.org/rhymisvideos/RHYMISExtractData.mp4
- RHY-HMIS Video: How to Upload Data to RHYPoint (Sept. 2017): http://airhsdlearning.airws.org/rhymisvideos/RHYMISUploadFile.mp4
- RHY-HMIS Video: Structural Data Errors (Sept. 2017): http://airhsdlearning.airws.org/rhymisvideos/RHYMISStructuralDataError.mp4
- RHY-HMIS Video: Data Quality Report and Finalizing Your Upload (Sept. 2017): http://airhsdlearning.airws.org/rhymisvideos/RHYMISDataQualityReport.mp4
"Preparing for Spring 2017 RHY-HMIS Upload"
- Recorded audio/visual: https://vimeo.com/215207030
- PPT Slides: http://bit.ly/2pZcKes
- Transcript: http://bit.ly/2q3it1f
"Learning to Upload RHYMIS Data - April 2016" (April 2016)
This webinar training recording demonstrates how FYSB RHY grantees will use RhyPoint to upload their RHYMIS data. The data The webinar includes: (a) Changes and lessons learned from the 2015 submission period, (b) Introduction to requirements for data transfer and why it’s important, (c) Review of required tasks for grantees and HMIS vendors, (d) Demonstration of how to upload data and check for data quality, (e) Information on available TA resources
- Recorded audio/visual: Visit eLearning at: http://rhyttac.training.essentiallearning.com/ and locate webinar “RHYMIS Data Upload Preparation – RHYTTAC137”.
“RHYMIS/HMIS Data Upload Q&A Conference Call” (April 2016)
Participants will hear an update on the Spring 2016 RHYMIS National Data Upload and have the opportunity to ask questions and present challenges about the upload
- Recorded audio/visual: http://www.rhyttac.net/news/rhymishmis-data-upload-qa-conference-call-recording-available
“Knowing Our Youth: Collecting and Uploading Runaway and Homeless Youth Data in HMIS” (September 2016)
An overview of the RHYMIS upload basics and changes to the submission in fall 2016.
- Recorded audio/visual: https://vimeo.com/184876658/6f666d85c9
- PPT Slides: http://bit.ly/2eZqdKZ
- Transcript: http://bit.ly/2eZqQEf
Please click the following links to access past memos regarding RHY data collection, sharing and transfer:
- For a complete listing of HMIS measures for FY2017, including all RHY measures, visit: http://bit.ly/1f0Rg8z.
See pages 68-69 for a listing of reporting measures by program type.
- RHY Data Collection Memo: http://rhyttac.net/news/rhy-data-collection-memo
- RHY Data Sharing and Data Transfer for Local HMIS: http://rhyttac.net/news/rhy-data-sharing-and-data-transfer-local-hmis